Friday 8 July 2005

Who made your mouth?

“And the Lord said unto Who hath made your mouth…have not I the Lord?” – Exodus 4v11

Moses was about to run out of excuses about why he could not do what God called him to do. Since proper elocution was important in Pharaoh’s court and he was a simple shepherd he must have figured that this would surely suffice.

“God, I can’t speak properly, my speech is slow and I trip over my own tongue. How can You expect me to speak before Pharaoh?”

Of course God had the answer. “Who do you think made your mouth Moses? Since I made it don’t you think I know what you can do with it?” Then God said, “Go, and I will be with you.”

God never sends us to do a work for which He has not enabled us. We may, like Moses, look at ourselves and think that we are totally unable for something God has laid before us. Who knows better what we are able for? Frail, sinful us or a holy, perfect God?

Who made your mouth? Who made you who you are? Who gave you your physical and mental abilities?

God did of course. May we never flinch from any task that God lays out before us, knowing with full assurance that God knows full well what we can and cannot do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As we spend time in math, reading, spelling or develop a discipline in learning...we get better at it. If we apply these same practices in His Word, we get to know Him more and more...and to be more and more like Him as well.