Friday 29 December 2017

I will wait

Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me. Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. – Micah 7.7-8

If we took the time to read through Micah we would grasp the import of his words. The nation was in a mess. Just before these words we see a nation id chaos. 

Have a look at verse 2-3:

‘The good man is perished out of the earth: and there is none upright among men: they all lie in wait for blood; they hunt every man his brother with a net. That they may do evil with both hands earnestly, the prince asks, and the judge asks for a reward; and the great man, he utters his mischievous desire: so they wrap it up.’

Here’s my parrowphrase. ‘There are no good men left. There is no one upright. They all are violent and everyone is hunting for everyone else. They do evil with all their might. The rulers and judges look for bribes. The leader utters his mischievous desires, and he gets it.’

I am not going to comment on the obvious applications for today because I want to focus on the positive.

Micah didn’t try to sort all that out. He decided to look heavenward.

I will look to the Lord
I will wait for the God of my salvation
My God will hear me

In these desperate days Micah knew better than to look to men for his help. He knew there was no answer there and that there was only one place to find peace.

So what do we do in days like these? We do our best by the grace of God to love Him and others. We stay busy about our task of sharing the gospel. Feed the hungry and help the poor and needy.


Then we look to Him, wait for Him, and trust that He is hearing. 

No comments: