Thursday 1 June 2017

A threefold cord

Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up. Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone? Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken. – Ecclesiastes 4.9-12

I am certainly NOT a loner. I know people who are and frankly I don’t know how they do it. I can go, and sometimes ever appreciate,  a couple of hours alone, but must more than that and I get antsy.

So this passage appeals to me. Two are better than one (of course)…and a threefold cord is not easily broken.

My favourite (and only) hobby is geocaching. It is a massive worldwide ‘treasure hunt’ game. More than three millions caches are hidden all over the world, and one on the ISS. Someone hides a small container, sometimes with only a logbook, and logs the coordinates online. The player goes to www.geocaching.com and searches for nearby caches, then using a GPS device or phone app, seeks them out. When you find it you sign a log book and then log it online. I have only found about 600, but have been led to many fascinating places and sites playing the game.

But I don’t enjoy it alone. I do look for caches on occasion, but I don’t go out of my way unless someone goes with me. Why, mostly because I like the company, but also because two pairs of eyes are better than one and three pairs of eyes almost always work. And if I really get stuck I will drag Mary out because she ‘always’ spots the cache.

This is my picture of this great truth. We really do need each other. One alone may be weak, another helps, but it is hard to break a threefold cord. If we have a couple of friends around we can handle almost anything.


I think that is part of the reason why God gave us the church. There is strength in numbers. Part of the reason we go to church is so they we can support and help and strengthen each other.

No need to stand alone – we have each other.

No comments: