Tuesday 28 February 2017

That I might not sin

How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You. – Psalm 119.9-11

How do I deal with sin?
How do we avoid sin?

This is quite a pair of questions because sin is something that is always there and always needs dealt with. Even though we are free from sin’s penalty and free from sin’s power we are not yet free from it’s presence.

How can a young man live a clean and pure life?
By taking heed to the word of God.

How do we avoid sin?
By meditating on the word of God.

The word of God is our only hope. Self reformation, even for the Christian, is a waste. We can’t do it because it is like the blind leading the blind. A sinful creature can’t lead the way to holy choices.

Are you and I taking heed to the word of God? Is our meditation on it, or on all the things that can draw away our attention?

Victory over besetting sin is ours – if we are willing to seek it in the Bible.

No comments: