Friday 23 September 2016

Thanksgiving choirs

So the two thanksgiving choirs stood in the house of God, likewise I and the half of the rulers with me; - Nehemiah 12.40

At the end of this long beautiful song that was sung we see the nation at worship. Nehemiah was there with half the rulers.

Right there with them were two thanksgiving choirs – not just any choirs, but two choirs dedicated to giving thanks.

I am often challenged by Bible calls to give thanks. I am afraid that sometimes I get used to things and grow accustomed to God and His goodness. Yes, I fear that I can even take God for granted.

What a horrible thing to get used to God.

Instead, we ought all to keep a constant attitude of thankfulness. The thanksgiving choirs were there to make sure the people did not forget that God is worthy of our gratitude.

‘In everything give thanks’ we read as well as ‘giving thanks for all things.’ It was important enough to Nehemiah that he appointed two full choirs to sing songs of thanks.

How important is it to you and me?

No comments: