Thursday 4 August 2016

Pride and humility

In those days Hezekiah was sick and near death, and he prayed to the Lord; and He spoke to him and gave him a sign. But Hezekiah did not repay according to the favor shown him, for his heart was lifted up; therefore wrath was looming over him and over Judah and Jerusalem. Then Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the Lord did not come upon them in the days of Hezekiah. - 2 Chronicles 32:24-26

Hezekiah was like a lot of us. He had a roller coaster kind of relationship with God. One of his problems was pride. He would get in trouble, get things right, get in trouble again, get right again, and so on.

Here is an example. Hezekiah was sick unto death so he prayed. God heard his prayer and answered. But Hezekiah didn’t repay God’s favour and he got lifted up in his pride again. Then, as God’s wrath loomed Hezekiah again humbled himself and God  held off on his wrath.

I am reminded of God’s patience when I read things like this. I don’t know if I would be as patient with me if I were not me. Like Hezekiah I fail over and over and over and yet every time when I repent God restores our precious fellowship.

God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Hezekiah is a picture of how that can often be the same person.

Thank God that He is patient enough to put up with us.

No comments: