Tuesday 30 August 2016

It's just too hard

Then Judah said, “The strength of the labourers is failing, and there is so much rubbish that we are not able to build the wall.”
And our adversaries said, “They will neither know nor see anything, till we come into their midst and kill them and cause the work to cease.”
So it was, when the Jews who dwelt near them came, that they told us ten times, “From whatever place you turn, they will be upon us.”
Therefore I positioned men behind the lower parts of the wall, at the openings; and I set the people according to their families, with their swords, their spears, and their bows. And I looked, and arose and said to the nobles, to the leaders, and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses.” – Nehemiah 4.10-14

We have nothing left.
There is so much rubbish that we can’t do it.

The people of Judah’s great mind to work was now discouraged. Things had been going so well. They had seen God work. They knew His hand was on them. They had teamed up and got busy and arose and worked and everything looked fine. But then they looked around amidst the taunting and mocking and opposition and they were ready to quit.

It was too much
It can’t be done
What are we going to do?

I can tell you that I have been there more times than I like to remember. It seems sometimes that every step forward means two back. Satan seems to know just the time we start to get the slightest bit encouraged and he does all within his power to get us down. We get excited about something happening and then it feels just like it did to them. ‘I’ve got nothing left. I’m done. I’m tired of all this rubbish.’

But Nehemiah stirred these folks up.

Don’t be afraid
Remember the great and awesome Lord
Fight for you families and your homes

In other words – don’t give up. Get back into the fight. We can’t afford to leave the work half done.

That message to the Jews is the same message I need today. God help me to stay in the fight.

No comments: