Saturday 26 March 2016

Remember what God has done

Only fear the Lord, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king.” - 1 Samuel 12:24-25

Samuel continues his instructions to the people. Near the end of his farewell address he gives a few basic instructions.

Fear the Lord
Serve Him in truth
Serve Him with all your heart
Consider the things He has done for you

I could stop and talk about any of these things, but I want to focus on the one that really jumps out at me.

Consider what God has done for you.

I need to be reminded of that all the time. Fortunately this is not just a vague and unknown little tidbit of history. Paul tells us that instead of focusing on all the woes and worries and cares we ought to pray and give thanks for all that Jesus has done in order to have the peace of God. James tells us that we ought to rejoice in our sufferings and trial because through them we can learn how great a God He is and what He is capable of so we are ready for the next time.

So what is the key to overcoming fear and uncertainty? How do I get over my anxieties and worries? How do I have the peace of God reigning instead of my own turmoils?

I remember what God has done in the past and I trust Him to work in the future.

No comments: