Thursday 24 March 2016

God does not forsake His people

For the LORD will not forsake His people, for His great name's sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you His people. Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way. – 1 Samuel 12.22-23

God loves His people. His people are not perfect – far from it. But His people are His people, and He does not forsake them.

To the Jews this was primarily a corporate promise. God would never forsake them as His people. He would chasten the nation and they would go through troubles and eventually be scattered, but they are still His people and one day they will be restored through faith in Christ. God told the people through Samuel here that He would never forsake His people.

This truth reveals the faithfulness of God.

This trait is one that carries over to the church age. God is still faithful to His people, to those who put their faith in Jesus Christ. Those who are truly saved have the blessed promise that God will never, ever forsake us.

This passage from Hebrews is of great comfort to God’s people today – it is proof that God still does not forsake His own.

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we may boldly say:
“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?”

Think about it. Not only will Jesus never forsake us and therefore my eternity is score, but there is more.

No matter what comes my way Jesus will never, ever, ever forsake me. He will always be there. There is no need to fear the future because Jesus will not forsake me. There is no need to fear opposition because Jesus will not forsake me. There is no need to fear the unknown because Jesus will not forsake. There is no need or profit in coveting what others have or their circumstances because Jesus will not forsake me. There is no need to fear loneliness because Jesus will not forsake me.

‘Don’t be afraid,’ God says, ‘because I am with you wherever you go.’

No comments: