Thursday 11 February 2016

The Lord will rule

But Gideon said to them, "I will not rule over you, nor shall my son rule over you; the LORD shall rule over you." – Judges 8.23

Gideon had just done the impossible. He had led his tiny army to defeat the powerful oppressors.

Of course the people were overjoyed. Somehow Gideon had beaten off the enemy and once again they were free. The crowd came to Gideon and begged him to be their king.

When I try to put myself in Gideon’s sandals I wonder what I would do. I know what I think I would do. I think I would love the idea and jump at the chance. I know my grandson AJ would. He wants to lead so bad he think that members of the government should pay us for the chance to do the job instead of us paying them!

But Gideon did not jump at the chance. ‘I’m not going to rule you. My sons are not going to rule you. Instead the Lord is going to rule you.’

Gideon was wise enough to recognise the sovereignty of God. He passed up his rule so that God could rule.

Most of us are never going to be offered the leadership of a nation or a people. Our problems come from demanding the rulership of our own lives.

At the root is the problem Gideon avoided – pride. He knew that God knew best for the land. He refused the offer to lead and left God in control.

Gideon did that with a whole nation. Why can’t I seem to do it for just my life?

No comments: