Saturday 13 February 2016

Reaping what we sow

And all the evil of the men of Shechem God returned on their own heads, and on them came the curse of Jotham the son of Jerubbaal. – Judges 9.57

We have all heard it said ‘you reap what you so.’ Even the world has their own version when they talk about ‘karma.’ It is all based on the idea that you get what you deserve.

And there is some truth to that. The ‘reap what you so sow’ notion comes straight from the word of God – ‘whatever a man sows he is going to reap.’

So the men n of Shechem got what they deserved. All that the evil they had done God turned back on them. They did wrong, they were evil, and the suffered the consequences when they got what they sowed.

But I am glad that we serve a God of grace. He sent His Son to die for me and so that He reaped the results of my sin. It hardly seems fair, and it isn’t fair. It isn’t fair that Jesus reaped what I sowed.

But it happened. God loved the world so much that Christ came and took on all the evil I had done. I a practical way I still reap what I sow. When I do something stupid I am going to real the results.

But for eternity I am secure. Jesus paid it all. He did reap the results of the sin I sowed – and He did it because He loves me.

No comments: