Thursday 30 April 2015

On 10 years of reflections

For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. – Romans 15.4

I just want to pause to reflect on a personal milestone. It was on this day way back in 2005 when I started this devotional blog. The purpose was some what pragmatic. I wanted something ‘force’ me to not just do a cursory verse reading for my devotions. I wanted something to make me dig a little deeper. So I started a blog because I knew I would be compelled to post something more than a little thought every day.

As the years have gone by I have become more and more convinced at the importance of Christians spending daily time with God with prayer and meditation and consideration and not just a cursory reading. Anything is better than nothing – but we are only going to find patience and the comfort we need to daily living in the scriptures.

Spending quality time in mediating and reflecting on God’s word is vital to our spiritual lives. It is more than just ‘a lick and a promise.’

Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night. – Psalm 1.1-2

There is no greater blessing than spending daily time with God in reading, prayer, meditation, and reflection. It needs to be a priority in our lives. Let’s take the time to not just ‘have our devotions’ because we are supposed to do but take the time to meditate and find comfort and patience in our daily reflections on His word.

No comments: