Friday 17 April 2015

He is faithful

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. – 1 John 1.8-10

I am so glad that this says ‘He is faithful’ and not ‘we are faithful.’ Since I am ‘a sinner saved by grace’ I would not be capable of dealing with my sin or anyone else’s sin. 

God is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from the sins we are still going to commit. The price was paid on the cross, but we need a constant application of His gift because we still sin. Our eternity is settled already, but we still need to deal with the sin that goes on in our daily lives. 

So God says if we confess our sin He will keep our relationship pure and clean and unbroken. Though the penalty is paid, we still need to keep our relationship right by confessing our sins when we commit them. ‘Confess’ means simply that we say the same thing about our sin that God does. 

And then we can trust that He will be faithful and just with divine justice. He is not going to change His mind about His sacrifice for us and say ‘sorry, I am not going to listen. You have ‘confessed’ this one too many times.’ His faithfulness and His justice are based on His righteousness. 

He saved me – that is sorted. But I can’t walk in pure fellowship with Him if I won’t agree with Him about my sin. Praise God for His faithful forgiveness. 

No comments: