Monday 12 January 2015

Mercy triumphed

So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgement is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement. – James 2.12-13

Talk and walk like one who is no longer judged by the Old Testament Law, but now talk and walk like one is lives by the law of liberty.  In other words James is telling us here that we need to live like people who have been freed from the law and freed from the power of sin in our lives. We are free to live in a new and special way.

And one way to do that is that we are to be people of mercy. If we are not people of mercy all the indications are that we have never really received mercy.  True mercy is always reflected by mercy being shown to others. Those who don’t show it have never had it. Those who have never received mercy are harsh and judgemental toward others. They treat some with kindness and others with disdain.

The context here is still that of being partial toward people. If mercy overrules judgement in my life then I am going to show mercy to all – not just those who look or act or dress or believe like me.

Think about it for second. When God saw me in my sin all I deserved was His wrath and his judgement and his punishment. I could do nothing about it – I deserved to be judged.

But, in Christ, mercy appeared on the scene. And then mercy triumphed over judgement. What a marvellous phrase that I have never noticed before. Someone ought to write a song called ‘Mercy Triumphed!’ Through the precious blood of Christ mercy won out over judgement for me – for me! When I accepted Christ as my Saviour mercy won!

Now, with that in mind, how can I not choose to show mercy? And, if I do, I can be assured that mercy will never run out, because ‘blessed are the merciful for they will receive mercy.’


Mercy triumphed over mercy for me. Will it triumph as I deal with others? 

No comments: