Monday 29 December 2014

No doubt

But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. – James 1.6-8

Doubt is a terrible problem. Doubt is the opposite of faith. Doubt is a faith wrecker. When we pray for wisdom it is important that we ask with the faith that God is going to answer. If not, we are like a ship waiting on a shipwreck. When faith wavers we can’t really expect an answer. We become ‘double-minded.’ If we doubt we have no stability.

I think we all doubt some times. Our flesh gets in the way. What we see overrides what we can’t see. And so we doubt.

Of all the problems we can have, doubt must be one of the most serious because doubt wrecks everything. It robs us of our joy. It robs us of a proper relationship with God.

Doubt is nothing new. The father of a young child once said, when Jesus asked him if he believed his child could be healed, said ‘Lord, I believe – help my unbelief.’

As hard as it may be for me to accept, when I doubt it is because I am not trusting. When I am not trusting it is because I am putting my faith in myself and not trusting my God.


Indeed Lord, I do believe. But please Lord, help my doubt and unbelief. I need the stability that only doubtless faith provides.  

No comments: