Wednesday 8 January 2014

The great fight

I say then:Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. - Galatians 5.16-17

I don't think a single one of us have any doubts that we are in a constant battle in our lives. 

In one corner we have our old enemy Flesh. In the other corner we have  the Spirit. These two are always going at it. Flesh fights against Spirit and Spirit fights against Flesh. These two simply cannot get along. It is a battle that started the day we got saved and will continue to the day we meet Jesus face to face. If we give in to the wrong one we can't do the things we know are right. 

It is a fierce battle. As Paul himself wrote in Romans 7 it is a frustrating battle. Follow Flesh or follow Spirit. Which do we choose? Which is going to win?

It seems pretty clear. If we feed Flesh it will win out. It we feed Spirit it will win out. I feed Spirit when I spend time in prayer and in the word of God or helping others or true Christian fellowship or loving people. 

I feed Flesh when I give in to its lusts and desires and cravings. 

I have to ask myself on a regular basis if what I am choosing to do, or not do, are going to support Flesh or going to support Spirit. Whose side am I on after all? 

No comments: