Friday 18 October 2013

Our Sufficiency



Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, - 2 Corinthians 3.4

Self-sufficiency. Now that is something that all of us understand. It is something we all want. Most of us really don't like the idea of having to depend on someone else. I have been watching the American television programme 'The Wonder Years.' The show was broadcast in the 80s and tells the story of a teenager 'coming of age' the same time I did, in the last 60s and early 70s. As I watch it I remember that great desire to be self-sufficient so that I had the freedom to make my own decisions and do what I wanted to do. 'I can do it' must have been one of my favourite sayings.

In that regard self-sufficiency is a fine thing. We need to be able to not depend on someone else for everything. We need to be able to make it on our own.

But there is an area where we soon find that there is no such thing as self-sufficiency.

There is nothing we can do in and of ourselves when it comes to the Lord's work. Paul was writing here of the work they had been doing and what they had seen accomplished. But he wanted to make it clear that 'they' had done nothing of their own ability, it was all from God.


Before we think too highly of ourselves regarding our lives or ministries or successes or accomplishments it is vital that we remember that nothing we do is because of our great abilities or skills or charisma or anything else. It is all what God is doing in us. All we can do is praise God for what He does. 

No comments: