Thursday 29 August 2013

Run...fight



Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Paul lived in one of the historical heydays of sport. The Greek Olympics had been going for almost 800 years. The Romans Games were a regular feature. There were local games of all sorts.

Now I have never, believe or not excelled at sports. I love to watch many of them, but have just never been determined or skilled enough to participate. I was always the last guy picked for teams. But I did like it, even then. If you look at the photo you can see me with my American football team about 50 years ago. That’s me, number 16, right in the middle!

Anyhow, I am glad that the Bible doesn’t condemn sports. I am also glad Paul was a down to earth preacher. He knew how to illustrate a message.

There are some folks who think that we can get to the point, even with just a prayer of faith, where we no longer have to do battle with sin. We won’t be perfect, but all we have to do is sit back and let Jesus deal with everything. We will then always be victorious in our Christian lives.

But Paul tells us the Christian life is like running a race. He coaches us in how to run. Run to win the incorruptible prize. In Hebrews he tells us to run it with patience, to lay aside the weight of our sins, and to keep our eyes on the finish line.

He tells us it is like a boxing match. Don’t just beat the air. Train, exercise, keep the old body in shape.

We need to get into the game. We need to settle in for a marathon. We need to stay in training. If not we get flabby and unfit.

We are in a race. We are in a boxing match. If Paul were writing today he might relate the Christian life as a football (soccer/rugby/American/Gaelic/Australian, whatever) match. It is not a life for us to just sit back and take it easy.


Lets get in the game folks and lets play it like we intend to win!


No comments: