Friday 2 August 2013

In weakness and fear

I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.1 Corinthians 2.3-5

Serving Christ can be a scary thing. At the moment, not that it is anything new, I am really battling with that. The devil throws up things to confuse and confound our ministry. It seems like time after time we see some good, then we see battles.  It is important to know how to deal with my weakness and my fear and my trembling.

The trembling Paul talks about is 'shaking with fear.' I know the feeling. 

I think most of us in ministry know the feeling. It is good to know that we are not the first and that we are not alone.

Paul realised that the key to dealing with his weakness and fear and trembling was not to depend on himself.

Paul knew that the key to his ministry was not to try and persuade men to come to Christ. He knew it was not up to him to force a decision. He knew indeed that he was a ‘fisher of men’ but he knew that only Christ could fill the net.

People are not going to be persuaded to come to Christ by my wisdom of speaking ability. Salvation is only a manifestation of the Holy Spirit and a demonstration of the power of God. There is no such thing as a good or bad ‘soul winner.’ There are only obedient or disobedient - faith or unfaithful believers.


Victory over weakness and fear comes when we remember that is not us, but the power of God as seen through His Holy Spirit that brings men to Christ. 

No comments: