Tuesday 7 August 2012

I have decided to follow Jesus, but...


Then He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God." And another also said, "Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house." But Jesus said to him, "No one, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."  - Luke 9.59-62

Not everyone was so quick to forsake everything and follow Jesus. When Jesus said ‘follow me’ to others one replied ‘Let me go bury my dead father first.’ Another said ‘I will follow You, but I need to go say goodbye first.’

We might think that this is to be expected. These are reasonable request.  What could be wrong with going to your father’s funeral or saying goodbye to your family?

I don’t think that is the point. Jesus knew their hearts. He knew that these were more excuses than reasons. He knew these people had a ‘I will follow You but…’ attitude.’

Those who have this kind of attitude are always going to be able to find another ‘but’ in their discipleship. ‘I am going to get back to church, but first I need to sort a few things out.’ ‘I am going to tell my family about Jesus, but I need a little more time to show how my life is different.’ ‘I will start giving to my local church, but first I need to get buy these few things I really need.’

There really are no ‘buts’ in discipleship. Either we follow or we don’t. We have to decide if we are going to follow the world or follow Christ. If we try to follow both we are going to get frustrated and confused.

How many of us can truly say ‘I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back, no ifs, ands, or buts.’  

No comments: