Sunday 3 June 2012

Forgiveness


Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. – Matthew 18.21-22

Do you ever get tired of forgiving someone for the same old thing over and over again? It can really get frustrating at times.

I think we all have problems forgiving at times. Sometimes the hurt and the pain can be so bad that we just don’t seem to be able to get over it. The lack of forgiveness can grow to be all consuming to the point of bitterness. How do we learn to forgive in a 'seventy times seven' manner?

This passage is followed by the servant who was forgiven for a massive debt could not forgive the guy who owed him a pittance.

The lesson is pretty clear though. When we consider our lives and all that Jesus forgives us of how can we not forgive others? When I hold a grudge or refuse to let go of an offence I am ignoring all that Jesus forgave me of. We can use an excuse like ‘You don’t know what he did to me? I can’t forgive him,’ if we want. But it just won’t wash.

When I consider all of my offences before a righteous and holy God; when I consider my offences toward His holiness even as His child I cannot help but be overwhelmed by His goodness and His marvellous forgiveness.

Do you remember Jesus words on the cross as He looked out over the multitude who had taken part in His crucifixion? He could have called down the wrath of God and no one could have blamed Him. But He didn’t – He said ‘Father, forgive them because they don’t know what they are doing.’

With that kind of forgiveness what right have we to not forgive? Like the servant later in the passage we have been forgiven an unpayable debt on the cross. And still we take offence against others and won’t let it go.

How often are we to forgive? Seven times? No, seventy times seven and beyond.  Jesus is our example of forgiveness. No matter what the offence we must follow His example.

Here is just a little note that is related but not a part of the passage here. It may be a bit pragmatic, but not only is forgiveness the right thing to do; it is also the best thing for us. The person who needs forgiveness is never going to be hurt by our refusal to forgive – we are the one who always has to carry the burden. Let it go – you will never be sorry.

No comments: