Wednesday 27 June 2012

For me


Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head. And when they had mocked Him, they took the robe off Him, put His own clothes on Him, and led Him away to be crucified. – Matthew 27.30-31

As many times as I have read the various accounts of the crucifixion it is still an even that I cannot get through without being moved. There are many things we could look at, but let’s just look at the things mentioned in these verses.

They spat on Him
They took a reed and struck Him on the head.
They mocked Him.
They stripped off the robe of mockery and His put own clothes on Him.
They led Him away to be crucified.

Think about this for a minute – this was not a mere mortal of victim of false arrest. This was God Himself allowing all these things to happen to Him. That alone would stop us in our tracks.

But let’s take it further and ask ourselves why. Why would God do all of this?

The stunning truth is that He did it for me. He took the punishment that my sins deserved. I could never pay the price, ever, no matter how hard I tried. There was no reason or cause for God to go through this except for the fact that He loved me. He could have called armies of angels at any time, but He didn’t. He carried on – for me.

They spat on Him – for me
They took a reed and struck Him on the head – for me
They mocked Him – for me
They stripped off the robe of mockery and His put own clothes on Him – for me
They led Him away to be crucified – for me

He did all this for me. What do I do for Him?

No comments: