Thursday 22 September 2011

A good thing


He who finds a wife finds a good thing, And obtains favour from the LORD. – Proverbs 18v22

God had it right from the very start. Almost immediately after creating Adam we find this - And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him."

It is not good that man should be alone. I think most of us men can easily identify with that truth. Almost 34 years ago Mary and I exchanged our vows at Jump Off Baptist Church on a snowy mountain top in Sewanee, Tennessee.

Things were tough from day one. Our car broke down and I lost my job in our first week of marriage. Since then we have had our ups and downs and our good times and bad. There have been excitements and disappointments. Our ministries have not always been the easiest.

But in all that one thing has stayed steady – Mary has stood by my side. When a man finds a wife, Proverbs says, he finds a good thing and obtains favour from the Lord.

There is no way to explain a faithful and godly wife short of finding God’s favour. We certainly don’t deserve it. It is not something we can earn.

I am grateful that God chose to show me favour all those years ago – and that His favour continues today. 

1 comment:

Juanita Unruh said...

Thank you for sharing this reflection. I am thankful for a faithful spouse to serve with...it makes ministry sweeter!