Tuesday 6 September 2011

Good advice



Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety. – Proverbs 11v14

I am the kind of person who can act before I think. Well, I think I think, but I don’t think enough. My problem is that I am pretty sure I have an answer before I really do. Though I am getting better as years ago, I can still act before I get any counsel or advice.

You know what happens when I do that? It is almost always a disaster. When I face these situations I see them from only one perspective, from only one angle. All I see is what is on my mind at the moment.

That is why the Bible tells us that ‘where there is no counsel the people fall.. None of us are smart enough to see everything on our own.

‘But in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.’ One of the most precious things we can have is a trusted band of friends and associates that we can turn to when we have to make decisions. This is nothing fancy. It does not mean that we need a cabinet or committee. It just means that we need someone to bounce things off. We need people that we can trust to be honest. We need people who love us enough to tell us when we are just flat out wrong in our perspective.

Praise God for wise counsellors. May we have the wisdom to consult them. 

No comments: