Saturday 9 October 2010

Do not let your hands be weak

But you, be strong and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded!" – 2 Chronicles 15v7

One of the reasons why I think personal devotions are so important is that they give God a chance to give us just what we need at just the right time. It is a lot like eating. A lot of the time eating food just gives us the sustenance we need to keep on going. Sometimes we have a wonderful feast that really fills us with pleasure and we look back on it with fond memories.

They there are times when we really need a meal though. I think about times when I have been in a situation where I only had junk food for a few days. I remember craving a ‘real meal’ with meat and potatoes and vegetables. I remember having those meals and finding that it exactly suited what I needed at the moment.

I remember back in 2002 when it seemed like everything in our ministry had gone bottom up. Over and over during that time God used His word to encourage me. I still look back at those very special days when God met very specific needs in very specific ways.

My devotions the last few days have been doing that again. I have once again caught myself looking at circumstances and situations and found myself getting down. I have felt like I have ‘weak hands.’

The passage is set in a time of great trouble. War after war unsettled the people. ‘Nation was destroyed by nation and city by city…’ Circumstances apparently could not be any worse. The situation was dim. It must have seemed like a great time just to pack up and quit.

Then the word of God came – ‘Be strong and don’t let your hands be weak, for your work will be rewarded.’

We cannot help but be reminded of other passages; ‘Be not weary in well doing, for in due season you shall reap if you do not faint,’ and ‘Be steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord for you know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.’

God never promises that the work will be easy. In fact, if anything, He says exactly the opposite. It is going to be tough, but we can be assured that our in due season we will reap, our labour is not in vain, and our work will be rewarded.

So let’s stick to the task. Let our hands not be weakened, let us not be weary, let us be steadfast, unmoveable, and always abounding in the work of the Lord.

No comments: