Thursday 17 June 2010

In death they were not separated

"Saul and Jonathan were beloved and pleasant in their lives, And in their death they were not divided; They were swifter than eagles, They were stronger than lions. 2 Samuel 1v23

This is probably the last post of David’s and Jonathan’s friendship. I love the imagery here to describe what true friendship is. They were beloved and pleasant in their lives. They were not divided by death. They were swifter than eagles and stronger than lions.

True friendship can be a lot like marriage. You choose to love your friend for better or worse. You choose to love a friend through highs and lows and up and downs and good times and struggles. You choose to love your friend no matter what.

I think of the lifelong friends I have. Many of them I have only recently reconnected with through Facebook. Those friendships have simply picked up where they left off. I feel as close to these friends as I did when we saw each other face to face. I recently saw and old friend who I had not seen in many years. What a blessing to not skip a beat in our friendship.

I hope that we don’t take our friends for granted. I hope that we don’t let them slip. If there are friendships that have shifted to the sideline perhaps today would be a good day to look them up and pick up again. In that regard I praise God for the technology that makes that possible.

Friendship is the gift that make us swifter than eagles and stronger than lions. Lets treasure that marvellous gift.

2 comments:

feesher said...

I love reading this devotional every morning! Thank you. Did you mean David, instead of Saul?

Naas Preacher said...

Thank you for the kind comment. I actually read that totally wrong. The devotion should have been about Saul and David as father and son. Thanks for noticing.

I'll do a rewrite later, but I was still blessed by thinking about Jonathan and David :)