Monday 7 June 2010

Friends

Now when he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. Saul took him that day, and would not let him go home to his father's house anymore. Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul. – 1 Samuel 18v1-3

In it hard to imagine that we could live in a world that has so little regard for God and his word that they could corrupt one of the most precious relationships in the Bible. David and Jonathan were the dearest and most precious of friends. In one place David tells Jonathan that the love between them surpassed even the love of women.

It is sad that even reading about love between two men gives is a feeling of discomfort. It is so bad that Christian men can have a hard time saying, ‘I love you’ to each other. Tragically we have the perversity of a sick, dark, and perverted world to determine of view of love.

I love my brothers in Christ. I love having men that I can cry and rejoice with and with whom I can share my victories and failures. I love having men who I can talk to who can understand the struggles that men go through. Brotherly love is so precious. David and Jonathan loved each other even more than their own flesh. That relationship has endured through the ages as a perfect example of friendship.

Fellas, maybe it is time that we shake off the fear of what the world might say and let our brothers in Christ know that we love them. How hard can it be to say, ‘I love you brother?’

No comments: