Sunday 14 March 2010

Choices

"See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil…therefore choose life – Deuteronomy 30v15

Choices have always been a part of life. Adam and Eve had a choice. Cain and Able had a choice. Joshua will give the people a choice as did Elijah.

The context here is still preparation to enter Canaan. God told them, ‘I have set before you a choice; life and good or evil and death.’ He could not have made the choice any clearer. ‘Do what I command you and live or disobey me and die.’

We [should] do the same thing with our children. Give them a clear choice, do this and everything will be fine or disobey and suffer the consequences.

I certainly don’t want to get involved in an election debate so I will skip my view on how this principle applies to salvation. Instead I will address the issue for believers.

Those of us who are saved are His children. We are secure in that. God gives us choices in how to live as His children. We want to live in the peace of God? Then we can choose to obey Philippians 4. We want to have a happy family? Then we obey His principles for the familial order. We want peace in the church? The we can obey the principles of humility, patience, and putting others first.

We have choices – we can obey Him and enjoy all the benefits of life with Him, or we can ignore it and suffer the consequences.

No comments: