Tuesday 17 March 2009

Our inheritance


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
- 1 Peter 1v3-5

I have an inheritance coming…someday. My mom’s Cousin Carl died a couple of years ago and I am due 1/102 of his estate. That inheritance has been tied up in court and it seems to just be dragging on. I don’t know how much the estate is worth. I don’t know what my share will be, but I do know that the longer it takes the more that taxes and legal fees are going to eat into it. But, on day, hopefully, something will be there. If it happens after I die my children will have to share 1/102 six ways giving them each, I think, 1/612 of the estate.

Like most inheritances this one is not sure and it does slowly fade away. If and when I get it that still doesn’t keep it from fading away. Earthly inheritances do fade away and are certainly not kept safe and secure.

But our spiritual inheritance is different. It is part of our living hope that comes through Jesus’ resurrection from the dead and it gives us an inheritance that is

Incorruptible
Undefiled
Does not fade away
Reserved in heaven
Kept by the power of God

My eternal inheritance is nothing like my earthly one, except they both required a death. No matter what happens here on earth, or how long it takes, nothing is going to happen to my spiritual inheritance. It is unspotted so its legality is never in question. There is no need for probate court because it is undefiled; there are no questions about it. Instead of being held by the state it is held in heaven. It is kept, not by a law office, but by the power of God.

I don’t know what is going to happen to Cousin Carl’s estate, or if it will ever come through. But I do know that my eternal inheritance is coming one day. Of that I can be certain.

Praise God for an inheritance that is sure.

No comments: