Friday 4 July 2008

Redeeming the time

…redeeming the time, because the days are evil. - Ephesians 5v16


I love Christian biographies. I enjoy reading about God’s faithful servants. Most of the time we discover that they are people just like us. God used them simply because they were faithful. From these books we often find encouragement about how to make it through the tough times, and also how to survive the good times.

Sometimes we read of men and women have broken their lives and bodies in God’s service. Some of them “wear themselves out for the Lord.” Sometimes this is portrayed as a good thing. I am not so sure; there are plenty of examples in the word of God encouraging rest and taking care of our bodies. God gave us bodies to serve Him, I am not sure it is good to break those bodies in His service.

However, that is not the problem for most of us, at least not for me. I only had to read three words this morning – “redeeming the time,” before I was convicted. We are in the middle of a very busy week. Our Kids Klub Kamp and teen Colour Clash make for a tiring time. This the culmination of our church year and things will slow down in the ministry after this. If I am not careful I can use the restful and quiet time in a wasteful manner and not redeem these days.

Is God opposed to quiet times in His work? No, I think that is clear. But does He want us redeeming the time, even in quiet times? I don’t think we can neglect the fact that our time is precious, we live in evil days. We really can’t afford to waste the time He gives us, even the restful and quiet times. Restful need not mean wasteful.

No comments: