Saturday 6 October 2007

In every nation

“Then Peter opened his mouth and said: "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ He is Lord of all” - Acts 10v34-36

There is a point in the early sections of Acts that is abundantly clear. It is something that God has driven home to me day after day in the last week or so. It is something that seems so simple, and something that we probably know deep down, but, at least in my case, doesn’t often enough impact my daily life.

God shows no partiality. He will accept anyone in any nation who will fear Him and whose fear is seen by doing works of righteousness. The message of peace that began to be preached to the Jews is now available to every nation and every person. In other words, God’s peace is for everyone. That means everyone person I meet every day is a potential recipient of His peace.

There is a whole world in a desperate search for peace. In every nation, whoever, that means whoever, that fears Him will be accepted. From the most famous and important in the eyes of the world to those looked on with the most contempt everyone can be saved. From an important official to an unclean tanner - God cares for all.

My shame comes from the fact that I don’t seem to keep this in view in my everyday life. Too often I see people with “eyes of flesh” instead of seeing them the way God does.

Sometimes we have “target groups” or key people that we think would be the best ones to get saved. There is no best one to get saved, God shows no partiality – lets be sure that we are not partial when we preach peace.

No comments: