Tuesday 3 July 2007

One of them turned back

“And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,” - Luke 17v15

As I have gone through the Bible this time I have been impressed with the number of times God deals with the topic of thanksgiving. The story of the lepers is one that always catches my eye and reminds of the need to be grateful for what God has done for us.

As Jesus was travelling he came across ten lepers. Because they were lepers it was a mixed crowd of Jews and at least one Samaritan. They asked for mercy and Jesus stopped, told them they were healed, and that they should go to the priest to have their cleansing confirmed.

They took off, but one, the Samaritan, turned back and came to Jesus. “With a loud voice” he glorified God and showed his gratitude. Sadly, only the one returned. “Where are the others?” Jesus asked.

I wonder how often in my life Jesus has had to say, “Where is Roger?” when He has done something for me. Thanksgiving always glorifies God.

May I remember the story of the thankful Samaritan when God does great things for me.

No comments: