Wednesday 18 January 2006

Give me an understanding heart

For Thursday, 19th January

“Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?” - 1 Kings 3v9

How do you think you would respond if God said, “I will give you anything you want?” I wonder how I would respond if I did not already know about Solomon.

Solomon was not perfect. We know from the rest of his life that he liked money, gold, fast chariots, and women. All of these things would cause him problems though out his life. Yet, when he had the chance, he did not ask for any of these things. He decided to ask God for wisdom.

Solomon was well aware of his weaknesses. For all of his problems, at this point he does the right thing.

God has already made all of His wisdom available to us in His word. Is wisdom as important to us as it was to Solomon?

No comments: