Friday 7 August 2020

Consider my words

Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things. – 2 Timothy 2.7

As a teacher I enjoy watching Paul teach Timothy. Remember, Timothy was a young man, he was probably early in his twenties. Paul was preparing to die and he was getting Timothy ready to take his place. He knew Timothy had a proclivity to Aguirre and debate. He knew that Timothy needed to be reminded about how important his task was going to be.

He told Timothy here ‘don’t just read what I write or listen to what I say, carefully consider what I say.’ That reminds me of when Joshua was told to meditate on the word of God and mull them over.

It is one thing for us to go to church and hear a sermon and read the word of God. Unless we consider it and dwell on it and contemplate it and act on it then it is not going to have a real impact. For God’s word to impact we must take it and consider what we read and hear.

We consider God’s word when we take to the time to read it and mull over it and prayer over and meditate on it and, as one of the Hebrew words put – to ruminate on it.

As we read God’s word and hear it preached let’s take the time to carefully consider that we hear and apply it to our lives.

And we can do that with the assurance that God will give us the understanding. It is His word and He can apply it to our lives.

No comments: