Saturday 4 January 2020

Walk worthy

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. – Ephesians 4.1-3

Paul writes a lot about walk. Walk as light and walk in love and walk in the Spirit and walk in kindness and all of those sorts of important vital truths. There are many, many more, but I think the one that is the best summary of all those truths is the one found here – walk worthy of the task that God has called you to do.

This is the perfect all around statement about how we are to live in this present age, but at the same time it is deeply profound and challenging. Do my words and life and conduct and attitude all reflect the worthiness of my calling in Christ?

Let’s look at this from another perspective. What was my life worth to God? Does my walk reflect that I am one worth of Christ’s great sacrifice on the cross. Despite my sin He found me worthy – do I then walk worthy of what He has done for me?

In this new year I need a new commitment and a new determination by the grace of God to walk in such a way that is worthy of the price Jesus paid for me when He died on the cross. I want people to see Christ in me as I walk a walk and live a life that is worthy of Him.

No comments: