Tuesday 18 December 2007

I love my dad

“For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, ‘Abba, Father.’” - Romans 8v15

When I got dressed a few minutes ago I pulled on a pair of socks that were a gift from one on my sons. I know that somebody of my high status should not wear socks with writing on them, (I wish there was a way to put sarcasm in print) but written on them are these words, “I love my dad!” That’s a very simple statement, yet they are special because they express a special relationship, that of a child and a dad.

I recently read “The Shack,” by William Young. In that book the “pet name” for God is Papa. Young attempts to remind us of that very special relationship that we have not only with the Heavenly Father, but with our Papa.

I guess the problem is that I am trying to explain the unexplainable here. As part of the blessings of our salvation Paul reminds us here that we have nothing to fear from our Heavenly Father because we have been adopted into His family, we can, in Paul’s words cry our “Abba, Father.”

For us in the 21st century Abba has a different meaning. Unless you know the Bible Abba is a band of questionable skills and ability which immensely popular a couple of decades ago. Abba has a different meaning though here in Romans. It is a Syriac word that Jesus used to address God in Mark 14v36. It appears that this was a word used to describe a special filial affection, or a special name for “Father.” Paul, like Jesus used both terms here. In a sense God the Father is the Father of all because of His creation, but He is the “Abba” to those who specifically belong to Him.

How would we capture this spirit today? I am not sure that we can, but think of the special terms that a child calls their father. Daddy, Papa, and Dad are those kinds of words.

Herein is an amazing truth. The Creator God of the universe is my Daddy. The Holy One is my Papa. The eternal judge is my Dad. He is always there for me. When I am afraid He will hold my hand and walk through the darkness with me. When I hurt I can crawl up onto His lap for comfort and protection. I miss my earthly dad. Here have been times when I wish I could call on him to sort something out for me. At the end of the day however, I do have a Dad Who can sort it all out. What a joy to be able to call on Him.

I love my Dad.

No comments: