Saturday 4 June 2016

Loyalty

Let your heart therefore be loyal to the Lord our God, to walk in His statutes and keep His commandments, as at this day.”  1 Kings 8.61

Loyalty is a treasured and sought after trait. We all want loyalty. We want a loyal spouse and loyal family and loyal friends. We want loyal co-workers and teammates and associates and church family members. We love loyalty because being loyal means you have someone who is going to stick with you.

We have places where we are expected to be loyal, just like the situations above. I need to be a loyal husband and dad and Grampy. I need to be a loyal employee and pastor. I need to be a loyal friend.

Here Solomon points out that there is a most important place for us to be loyal as he prays that the nation would have loyal hearts to God and that they would prove that loyalty by walking in His commandments. God’s desire for us is not that we be a great success or be popular or be well known. It is His desire that we be faithful and loyal to Him and His word. What is required is that we are faithful and faithfulness comes from this loyal heart.

Above all my loyalties may I be loyal to my Lord. A nice result of that is that I am loyal to my God I will be a loyal husband and father and grandfather and friend and church member and employee and all the rest because all of those are ways of showing my loyalty to God.

No comments: