Thursday 7 May 2015

Greater is he who is in us

You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. – 1 John 4.4

There are some truths and promise of scripture that I run to all the time. This is one of them for certain.

This is really a wicked world and sometimes the wickedness seems all powerful. I am not that old and yet the world around me is more openly wicked than it has been in my life. It seems like God’s power is shrinking while the world’s power is growing. I know that there are many days when I feel mighty weak. The world, the flesh, and the devil can seem unbeatable.

Here though we have a precious promise from God’s word. We have already overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil because we have already overcome them. How? Because greater is he who is in us than he that is in the world. We don’t need to be afraid of the opposition. No matter how it seems now God has already given us the victory through Christ. Christ in me is my hope for eternity, not the things of this world.

I remember a great old gospel chorus from early in my Christian life. It still sticks with me today.

Satan’s like a roaring fire
Roaming to and fro
Seeking whom he may devour
The Bible tells me so. 

Greater is he that is in me
Greater is he that is in me
Greater is he that is in me
Than he that is in the world. 

Many souls have been his prey
To fall in some weak hour
But God has promised us today
His overcoming power

Greater is he that is in me
Greater is he that is in me
Greater is he that is in me
Than he that is in the world.

God has promised us His overcoming power. There is no need to act like we are beaten.

No comments: