Wednesday 3 September 2014

Modesty

in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. – 1 Timothy 2.9-10

This is sort of a tough area for me as a man to address. But, on the other hand, I am a man so maybe it is good that I write on it.

This is a topic we read a lot about and that I fear men think about more than women. That’s because we are different.  This passage is written to women, but it certainly impacts men.

Women are told here to dress themselves in modest apparel. Of course when I think of modest my first thought is of things that are not revealing or sexually appealing. That is of course part of it - but there is a lot more to it and it is a lot more demanding. I guess the best way to break it down is that modest apparel is simply not dressing in a way that calls attention to oneself. It is proper and moderate and not overly fancy.

Of course the call to modesty is for all believers – no one should dress in such a way that it draws attention to their bodies.

I am not a woman so I can’t speak for them. I don’t know how women respond to immodesty. But I do know that despite being a Christian for 40 years and married to a woman I adore for 36 years I still notice immodestly dressed women. It shouldn’t still distract me, but it does. And I know that I am not the only one.

As a man I would like to ask my dear sisters in Christ for a favour. Please, think about us weak men and help us out remembering the call to modest dress. Godliness and good works will always encourage us and build us up.

The article below says it a lot better than me. And it was written by a woman.


http://phyliciadelta.com/to-the-girls-in-the-pew-ahead-of-me/ 

No comments: