Sunday 3 November 2013

The love of Christ compels me

For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died;  - 2 Corinthians 5.14

There are a lot of things that can compel us to service. There are some Christians who are motivated by competition. some are motivated by peer pressure, pastor pressure, or personal pressure. 

In the 70s and 80s the churches I was in would have been real big on pressuring folks into service. All kinds of prizes and trophies were up for offer. So and so pastor would shave his head or so and so bus director would eat a goldfish. 

Sure, rewards are nice, but that can't be our motivation. Pressure cannot be our motivation. Tricks and treats cannot be our motivation. Fear of the pastor screaming at me cannot be my motivation. The lure of success cannot be my motivation.  The desire to impress cannot be my motivation. One thing should compel me to service. 

The love of Christ compels me. The old KJV said 'the love of Christ constrains us.' 

I really like the picture of 'constrain.' I see a water line where the diameter of the pipe is constrained to force the water to move along. I don't think I am out of line to parrowphrase this 'the love of Christ pressures us.' 

It is only as we forget about all the other pressures to serve Christ and let the love of Christ pressure us that we can really truly serve Him in the right way. 

What more powerful motivation could we have than the love of Christ? His love led Him to the cross to pay the penalty for my sin. Not only that his love led him to pay the penalty for is for everyone around me. If all of us were worth that much to Him, should that not motivate me to share that love with others?

Love is the greatest motivator of all. 

No comments: