Saturday 19 May 2012

The Golden Rule


Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets – Matthew 7.12

The word of God has been a part of our western culture for almost 2,000 years. It has made its way into our culture and our conversation. Sadly, in many cases it is combined, confused, and contorted with secular aspects of our culture yet it still endures. Many people think that Shakespeare quotes come from the Bible and vice versa.

Here is one example from God’s word that has endured and that virtually everyone in western culture knows. The ‘Golden Rule’ as it has come to be known has been paraphrased slightly to ‘do unto others as you would have them do unto you.’ Jesus said it this way ‘whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them.’ He went on to say that this summarised the Law and the Prophets.

There is not a lot of deep theology and doctrine there. There is however a great lesson for us as believers on how we are to treat others. Sadly, we don’t always measure up.

How would our lives be different today if I simply really took this to heart? What would happen if every word I said to others today were the kind of words I would want spoken to me? What would happen if I treated everyone today the way I would like to be treated?  What if every look on my face was based on the looks I like to see? What if every response in every situation, good or bad, was the kind of response I would expect?

We all know the Golden Rule. The question is whether or not it is a part of our lives.

No comments: