Sunday 7 February 2010

God is not a man

"God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? - Numbers 23v19

As the years have gone by I have learned a lesson or two. One of them is that I try to never make a promise. I have been working on the principle with Morgann. When she wants to so something thing I tell her that we will do our best, or that we will try, but I can’t promise her because something might come up that makes it so that we can’t. I love the response that she got from her dad. She says, ‘There is one thing that you can promise Grampy, that you will always love me.’ That of course is a promise I can keep.

God is different from us. He is not a man. He can make promise because He can keep them. He promises might be for good or made from our perspective, but we can be assured that He can keep them, because nothing is going to ‘pop up’ and catch Him by surprise.

God is not a man. He cannot lie. He will do what he says He will do. He will make good on His promises.

Because God is not a man, we can always count on Him.

I am grateful that our God is not a man like us. Even with our best intentions we may still fail. He never will.

No comments: