Tuesday 29 May 2007

Defilement from within

“There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.” - Mark 7v15

What defiles us? We tend to think sometimes that our defilement comes from where we go, what we see, or what we do. Many of us were taught that if we avoided certain “evil” places and circumstances we could avoid defilement. As a result there has been a tendency to say that if we avoid certain places and activities then we can live pure lives. Some well intended pastors and writers almost came up with a list of dos and don’ts that made us spiritual.

Sadly appears that we had things upside down, or even more accurately, inside out. Jesus said that nothing coming from outside a man can defile him. He said that defilement comes from within. If my heart is pure and clean, then I will see the wickedness of the world as God sees it and not expose myself to it. If I am exposed to it then I will turn from it and not let it defile me.

One the other hand, if my heart is wicked then anything that comes along will have the ability to bring out my wicked, defiled heart. The problem is my heart – that is really where my defilement comes from. Lets be sure that we work on the true defiler.

No comments: