Thursday 30 March 2006

Should such a man as I flee?

“And I said, Should such a man as I flee? and who is there, that, being as I am, would go into the temple to save his life? I will not go in.” - Nehemiah 6v11

The more I read about Nehemiah the more I admire him. First he had to deal with a bunch of recalcitrant nobles who not only refused to work, but then complained because they were having to share in the cost and their children were being forced to work.

After he had to deal with that he faced a series of threatening letters from Sanballat and his men. Sanballat said that he simply wanted Nehemiah to come and treat with him over the future of the city. Nehemiah would not go because the work was too important. The fifth letter Sanballat sent was an “open letter” which anyone could read.

The threats continued. Nehemiah did not know it, but there was a spy in his midst. Shemiah tried to get Nehemiah to run and hide in the Temple and lock the doors so that Sanballat could not get to him. This was actually just another attempt to discourage Nehemiah from the work.

Nehemiah’s response was classic – “Should such a man as I flee?” No matter what happened he would not be deterred from his task. Discouragement after discouragement came and Nehemiah just kept on going. He was a tremendous example of the kind of faithfulness God expects.

Whenever we face opposition and attacks, may God give us the courage to say, “Should such a man as I flee?”

No comments: